I’ve had the pleasure of reviewing a few different pairs of quality belaying glasses before. In fact, some of you may remember my review of the Y&Y Plasfun belaying glasses.
Today, I want to look at another popular pair of glasses from Y&Y Vertical—the Plasfun Basic. As you may remember, we ultimately determined that the Plasfun proves to be a solid pair of glasses for the average belayer.
But if you’re looking to take things to the next level, it might be time to upgrade to the Plasfun basic. Below, let’s take a look at what makes the Plasfun Basic so unique—and why you might just want it for your next climb.
Why Buy Belaying Glasses?
If you’ve had much experience climbing—particularly belaying—you already know the answer to this question. Still, as an avid climber myself, I feel it cannot be overstated just how important this piece of equipment really is when climbing.
I want you to picture this: you’re standing at the bottom of a rocky cliff. You’re having a great job as belayer, and you’re enjoying watching your friend as she climbs her way up the cliff. The only problem? Your neck hurts something fierce.
Let’s face it—rock climbing isn’t a sport for the weak, and the human neck wasn’t made to stay bent looking up while belaying. Unfortunately, doing this for an extended period of time without the proper equipment can start to take its toll on your neck. For this reason, it’s imperative that you look into purchasing the proper gear.
And in this case, that means finding the right belaying glasses.
What to Look For: A Recap
I’ve covered this topic before, but I believe it’s still important to briefly recap the important functions of belaying glasses. Only this way can I provide an accurate and adequate review of the Plasfun Basic.
To do this, we’ll need to know just what makes good glasses good and bad ones bad. Then, and only then, can we see where the Plasfun Basic falls on this list.
So what characteristics can be called definitive of good belaying glasses? Let’s take a brief look.
- Support—The most basic consideration is also the most important. When judging the quality of belaying glasses, make sure to consider how well they support your neck. The better the support, the longer you can belay and the less pain you feel. This makes your climbing experience better and more enjoyable. How is this judged? Well, if you still have to bend your head at odd angles while wearing your glasses, they provide suboptimal support.
- Fit—Be sure that your glasses fit well. You don’t want anything that’s too tight or too loose, as they can both cause problems. Glasses that are too tight can cause even more problems than not wearing them, while those that are too loose may slip off.
- Comfort—Finally, you’ll want to make sure that you’re wearing a pair of glasses that is comfortable. An important consideration to make here is the material it’s made from and its flexibility.
How Does the Plasfun Basic Stack Up?
Importantly, how does the Plasfun Basic live up to these standards? As you may remember, the original, the original Plasfun fared quite well, and the Plasfun Basic is no exception.
In fact, you’ll find all of the same features that made the original so great—and then some. Because of this, it can be argued that the Basic is actually an advanced version of the Plasfun. How ironic is that?
So what additional features does the Basic include that makes it superior to its predecessor? For starters, check out the following features that take the Basic to the next level.
- Lighter Design—The Basic still makes use of the same plastic material, but the overall design is lighter. This makes it easier to take on your climbs.
- Can Be Combined with Other Glasses—What really makes the Plasfun Basic so unique is that it is easily adaptable. In other words, you can wear the Plasfun Basic with your prescription glasses or even with sunglasses. This makes them one of the most powerful belaying glasses on the market—and practical for those of us who wear glasses.
- Great View—Unlike the original Plasfun, which we noted provided little in the way of a stellar field of vision, the Basic provides high quality prism views. This allows belayers to keep a better eye on the climber at all times.
- Reduced and Simplified—Compared to the original Plasfun, the Basic works to cut down on some accessories and makes the case simpler. This design works to reduce the weight and make it easier to transport.
- Ultra-Thin Frame—The Basic’s thin frame helps provide for an even greater view. Because the frame is so thin, belayers will have a better view of their surroundings and the climber.
Drawbacks to the Plasfun Basic
With so much going for it, the Plasfun Basic appears to be one of the greatest belaying glasses options on the market. That being said, does it have any drawbacks of which one should be aware?
It depends on what you’re looking for. If you’re one who prefers a pair of belaying glasses that comes with more accessories, the Basic’s probably not for you. If you’re sold on the Basic but want more accessories, I’d recommend checking out the original Y&Y Plasfun.
Is the Plasfun Basic the right pair of belaying glasses for you? As always, it’s a question that you’ll have to answer for yourself.
As you search for the answer, be sure to keep the above information in mind. What’s more, don’t forget to check out some other popular options on the market. Those interested in checking out other great options can try some of my other reviews.
In short, the Plasfun Basic has everything you could want in a quality pair of belaying glasses—except for the accessories. For this reason, be sure to consider them as you look to find the pair right for you.