If you’ve spent any time belaying, you know one thing—it can take a toll on your neck. One of the more unanticipated drawbacks to belaying, neck pain is something that we’re all bound to face at one point or another in our rock climbing careers.
Fortunately, with the right gear, you can help cut down on neck pain caused by belaying. This will allow you to enjoy longer, more comfortable climbs and keep you feeling better afterward.
Today, let’s look at one of the more popular options for cutting down on neck pain while belaying—Metolius Upshot Belay Glasses*.
What Are Belaying Glasses?
First, let’s start with the basics. What are belaying glasses, and why should you use them?
The reason proves to be quite simple. Belaying glasses help you relax your neck as you look up at your partner, giving you more flexibility while belaying. What’s more, this additional support helps ensure that you’re left feeling better when you’re all done.
Metolius Upshot Belay Glasses
Metolius is one of the more famous rock climbing gear brands, so if you’ve been around for a while, you’ve probably heard of them. And though they’re not the only brand to make belaying glasses, their Upshot option proves to be one of the most popular.
But is it really worth the price? Let’s take a look at what you need to know about the Metolius Upshot Belay Glasses.
Effectiveness: I’m judging effectiveness by their ability to provide proper neck support. And in this case, the Metolius Upshot has consistently high reviews. For this reason, they prove to be a great, quality pair of belaying glasses for those who need extra neck support.
Value: Is buying the Metolius Upshot worth it? Probably so. Below, we’ll further examine its pros and cons to help you reach the decision right for you.
The Metolius Upshot glasses have a number of benefits that make them great for those in need of a pair of quality belaying glasses. Some of the best features of the Metolius Upshot are:
- Unique Design: You may be surprised to learn that the Upshot is actually the second pair of belaying glasses produced by Metolius. And in many ways, this pair can be seen as an upgrade on their original pair. Why? Because they feature a unique design that provides the wearer with a much larger field of vision. What does this mean for you? It means that while you’re standing on the ground, you can see higher up the rockface—giving you a better view of your partner. This increases both climbers’ safety.
- Peripheral Vision—But it’s not just the vertical distance that you’ll be seeing more of. Metolius really went the extra mile with their Upshot design by allowing belayers to see more in their peripheral vision. This provides an even greater safety net for climbers, as belayers can cut down on their blind spots and really focus on the climb.
- Comfortable—In addition to its practical benefits, the Upshot has some other features worth noting. Most importantly, the glasses offer a comfortable fit that will make your climb more enjoyable. This secure fit will provide you long-lasting utility during your climb.
And here are the Cons
Unfortunately, the Metolius Upshot isn’t perfect. What’s good, though, is that there aren’t many serious drawbacks.
Most notably, users have complained that the glasses aren’t very durable—even when they’re in their case. In fact, one dissatisfied customer noted that while tossing his pair of glasses to his partner, they broke despite being in their case. For this reason, it’s important to consider being a little extra careful while using the Upshot.
All this being said, should you add the Metolius Upshot to your equipment list? The answer is a most-likely yes. Of course, before making any purchases, you’ll want to review similar products first. This allows you to weigh the pros and cons of each pair of glasses to find the one right for you.
If you’re looking for a quality pair of belaying glasses that fits well, provides support, and increases your field of vision, however, the Upshot should be at the top of this list.
This incredible pair of belaying glasses has become one of the most popular pairs on the market—all for good reason. Perhaps the most compelling reason to purchase the Upshot proves to be its unique design. Unlike other belaying glasses that simply focus on providing neck support, the Upshot really works to provide users with a great field of vision. And if you’re one who really focuses on safety, this comes in handy.
With the Metolius Upshot, you and your partner can enjoy safer, more comfortable climbs. Overall, the Upshot has proven to be among the top belaying glasses on the market. Just be careful not to throw it around too carelessly.
The Upshot includes a few extra features to make your purchase even better. For instance, when buying the Upshot, you will notice that it comes included with a lanyard, case, and even a cleaning cloth. These extras help protect your glasses and keep them from getting lost. What’s more, the lanyard can be used for extra security to ensure that you won’t lose your glasses during your climb.
So should you buy the Metolius Upshot? It might be the right pair of belaying glasses for you if:
- You’re looking to maximize your field of vision
- You want an all-in-one package (glasses, case, lanyard, and cleaning)
- You want quality neck-support while belaying
- You’re in need of a comfortable option
As we’ve seen, the Metolius Upshot proves to be a solid option for those in need of quality belaying glasses. Just remember that its durability is suspect—meaning that you’re not going to want to be rough with it.
The Bottom Line
The Metolius Upshot should be among your top options if you’re looking for a well-rounded pair of belaying glasses. As you shop (check current price at Amazon), use the guide above to help you weigh your options—and be sure to check out my reviews for other belaying glasses, too!